Friday, July 5, 2013

Quietly



        "Quietly" Have you ever reveled in stillness? Those peaceful quiet times when no one else is awake and the house is still, no phone ringing, no laundry calling, no one else wants your time. One of the great things I celebrate about getting older is those peaceful times in the middle of the night. I have them nightly, thanks to my light sleeping.
        A small noise is enough to awaken me, a car door, a bass on a radio too loud, distant sirens, a whining air conditioner on the hospital a block away. Sometimes it is not a noise, but my own inner thoughts prodding me from sleep, laundry, housework, a child with problems, unfinished commissions, steal the cobwebs away and prevent restful slumber.
        When I cannot go back into the land of nod, I get up and read the bible or maybe do a lesson. If I am still far from sleep, I will go into the studio and paint. Painting takes me from where my thoughts are, to another place and time. After a while, I can go back to my bed and rest my head, knowing that there is another piece ready for collecting!
        Sometimes the peaceful stillness comes in the middle of the day. No barking dogs, no phone calls, just me, my music and the paint. Before I know it, several hours have passed and hunger finally will steal me away from a completed piece. It is only then I will step away and delight in the wonderful talent I have been gifted with. I am thankful for all that the master has decided to give to me and only hope I can pass this love on to others despite the noise that crowds my very being.
"Quietly" 12 x 12 Acrylic on canvas, Day 3 of the 100 days 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment