Saturday, August 24, 2019

Lionfish I


I know I say this a lot, but this was so fun to paint!
I did my third series of  pours in preparation for my girlfriend 
coming over next week to learn the hows and whys of pouring backgrounds.
This pouring process allows you to get multiple backgrounds done extremely quickly.
But,
There is no control over what the paint will or won't do in any given pour.
I don't own a butane torch so I cannot open cells on the pieces as much as I might like. 
I tried my heat gun, but it's not the same. The 36 oz pour that made this background covered a 16 x 20, 
2 -10 x 20's, 1 -12 x 12, 6-4 x 12's, and 9 -4 x 4's!
Lots of beautiful greys, ivory's, and golds.

They can be a challenge to create on top of the poured paint, but I am up for it wholeheartedly!
I already have plans for several of the others in the grey range.
Some of the new pour pieces will be at the Artists gallery (18 S Section St) in downtown 
Fairhope for the upcoming Artwalk on September 6th.

In the meantime. 
I am mentoring an Artist in Zimbabwe, Africa.
We met at the Grace School on the Thursday I arrived, and we instantly bonded. He is a delightful teacher as well, lending a helping hand at several art classes with me at the school. I have taught him some techniques that are different from his college days and I am amazed at his age. I was stunned to find out he had retired from teaching after 20 years! I guarantee you he does not look over 40 years old. 
He retired, wanting to teach only art in a school. 
On the second day of helping me, he was offered a job at the school teaching Art!
He is eager to learn, and as usual I am eager to teach!
He has a show in Bulawayo (sp?) in November and I am pushing him to start working on it now. His last experience for a show was not good, waiting until the last minute to try and
create. He admitted it was not his best, and the gallery owners were not real impressed.
Anyway, I am in touch with him almost daily.
Gently pushing him to hopefully greater things than he could ever imagine!

I am always creating and or thinking about creating.
Getting ready for fall classes for ESILL as well as teaching for Shepherds place every other week.
Food, fabric, or canvases all are a part of my thought process on a daily basis.
All a part of being an artist I guess!

Lionfish I, Acrylic on canvas,4 x 4 inches
Day 54 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment