Saturday, September 23, 2023

Yin-Yang turtles


This is the really large canvas with 5 pieces making a polyptych.
Greek for the word poly meaning many.
This is the beginning of the work, layering in skin wrinkles and outlines.
I also had painted the eyes, but they still needed shadowing and highlights.
The multi canvas series is several years old now, but this is the first time I've done one in color.
It is made with a canvas in the center that is 16 x 40 inches tall. 
Each one of the side panels is a 16 x 30 and a 16 x 20 on each end.
The entire piece when displayed is 7 feet wide.
I love the colored turtles; this piece puts me one step closer to the set up for the National Shrimp festival.
The show is 19 days away now, and I hope to complete several more paintings before the big day.
Each piece makes me happier than the one before.
I am grateful to God for the talent He's given me, and the ability to complete the tasks before me.



This second photo is while in progress.
I had started to add the colors to the flippers and the back of the shells.
There was still a lot of detailing at this point, although they look finished.
So much fun, making rapid decisions for color, detail, and shading.


So large I cannot photograph it in my studio, because I cannot put a back board behind it.
So, we took the beast downstairs and hung it on the fence to take a photo.
I love the combination of the weathered fence and the color of the turtles.
It makes a lovely presentation.
I took a photo of myself with the painting so you can see how big it really is in person.
And yet it seems small.
I have "maps" of the walls for the show, placing each piece where it needs to go.
It also gives me a good idea of how many more I have to make to have the look I want.


The show is really getting closer now and I am on hyper drive at this point.
I tell Chris, I am in "show mode."
This discipline is the only way I will have enough pieces to display, sell, and replace works that sell.
After we photographed the turtles, we took it apart while outside making it easier to take back upstairs.
I then spent a couple of hours painting the sides of the canvases.
This is so when viewed from the side, you still see a completed work.
I'm really excited to see what people think about them!

Yin-Yang turtles, Acrylic on canvas, 40 inches tall 72 inches wide.
Day 55 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2023

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment