Saturday, September 14, 2024

Cephalopod my cephalopod


One of my favorites to paint, a cephalopod!
Octopus are fascinating creatures.
If their beak fits, the rest of their body will go as well.
There is a really cool video that shows fishermen catching a large octopus.
It found the scuppers on the boat and slithered its way off the vessel.

Meanwhile, the wood is flying here in the studio.
We bought several pieces of lumber the other day to make new shadowbox frames.
Chris, my husband of almost 46 years is a master builder now of these frames.
I couldn't make my signature pieces without his help.
He has brought up 6 of each of my sizes, varying from 12x36 to 16 x 16.
All of the sizes sell well, and I am grateful for the frames he's built.
Now on to canvas stretching, which is a whole other day of hard work.
I already have the canvas here at the studio to stretch every single one.
Now, about the canvas.....

I bought canvas while I was in India.
I've bought canvas while there before, but this time was on another level.
I had our daughter order me two smaller rolls of 10oz.canvas before I got there.
I also ordered white paint and coated the canvas before cutting.
I was delighted with the canvas and started researching a larger quantity.
I found 10oz 84inch canvas, 10 meters long for less than $50.00, because they were on sale.
I ordered two rolls.
They were incredibly large when they arrived in their protective cardboard tubes.
I can only imagine these things being carried down the street on the way to the Banerjee residence.
I opened the tube that night and started cutting.
Chris helped me to take the canvas and cut it into 30 x 84inch strips.
30 inches, because they will fit into the suitcases.
We got a lot of strips that all made it home safe and sound.
Why so much?
The canvas I typically purchase here is 7oz and is a 73inch by 6yd roll.
This roll costs me just under $100.
I got triple the amount for about the same as one.
It took some creative packing, but we got them home allowing me to keep my pricing affordable.
Now, if I could just find some lumber in a dump box somewhere....

Cephalopod my cephalopod, acrylic on canvas, 5 x 24 inches
Day 75 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2024


 

No comments:

Post a Comment