Friday, September 13, 2024

Flying higher and higher


This one was started as a drawing while we were on the road back in April and May.
I did manage to paint another 5-piece (octopus) while on the road and it sold at that weekends show.
I always have the question, what do you call a five piece?
I had researched several times, and it was called a polyptych.
A polyptych is a hinged piece of three panels or more.
That worked for me.
I looked it up several times and got the same answer.
Just now I looked again, and they are actually called a Pentaptych.
And now, spell check is screaming at me to correct the spelling.
The word comes from the Greek word "ptyche" which means a fold.
Add the prefix "penta" and you have pentaptych.
Words are so interesting, but Lord now I have to learn how to pronounce that one!

It's always interesting to paint larger works while in a camper. 
I really have to break them apart after drawing them, then paint.
The pieces are then put on a table outside to make sure the edges match.
I am then able to paint the edges to complete the piece.
We love them, because are a large piece that fits in a small bag.
Always interesting to paint!

Flying higher and higher, Acrylic on canvas, 36 x 60
Day 74 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2024


 

No comments:

Post a Comment