Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Faithfulness


Facebook has a weird way of bringing up memories from so long ago.
This group of 4 is from the early sepia series.
They date all the way back to when we lived in Mobile.
These pieces were all in shadowbox frames that I purchased from Michaels.
The frames were raw wood and required two coats of paint. 
One black, then one brown and quickly wiped back.
I literally went through dozens of them, ordering some from California at one point.
Peter Anderson had an entire wall of them one year.
The canvas all measured 12 x 12.
Anyway, that's when the sepia series began!
The year was 2010.
I never dreamed the series would last this long.
I apparently am on to something.
 I was neutral before it was popularized in 2013 by Chip and Joanna Gaines in their show, Fixer Upper.
I started the series after people kept telling me they loved my work;
"But I don't know if that color would go on my wall."
I literally was beating my head against the back of my tent at the National Shrimp Festival.
"I asked God, what am I doing wrong?"
He said, "Not wrong, go neutral."
That was the beginning.....

And so, I continue.
Several years ago, I mixed the color a little more blue than brown.
People went wild over it for some reason.
We hear "I love the blue" frequently at shows.
The color has stayed "blue" ever since.
It is a carefully mixed color of Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna.
I make large batch, put it into a jar, then pull it as needed.
I love this series so much and so do my collectors.
Many of them own several pieces as it is easy to add to their collection.
No more frames, bluer in color, still neutral after all these years.

 I am so happy to announce I have five shows this fall.
National Shrimp Festival, Gulf Shores, Alabama October 10-13, 2024
Jubilee Festival, Daphne, Alabama October 19&20,2024
Mattie Kelly Festival of the Arts, Destin, Florida, October 26&27, 2024
Peter Anderson Festival, Ocean Springs, Mississippi, November 2&3, 2024
**Three Rivers Covington, Covington, Louisiana, November 9&10, 2024**
Covington is a new show for me and the first time we've gone into Louisiana!
So excited!


We've also just gotten back from a month in India visiting family.
It was a great month, with me able to put my feet in the Arabian Sea at Goa.
We also went to Bangalore and saw the Banerjee clinic there.
It is a lovely space, beautifully designed.
The clinic in Delhi is also new, with lots of space to see clients.
While there, we also had an epic Lego birthday party for both Neel who turns 6 on September 5th, 
and Dahlia who turned 3 on August 2nd.
A grand time was had by all!

I have not posted, but I have been intensely painting.
Not always for sale, as I spent weeks creating the Space VBS for our church before we left for India.
I also spent two days making LEGO outfits for both grandchildren, our daughter, and our son in love.
Always creating here at the Raccoon Retreat studio in Fairhope, Alabama
37 days until the National Shrimp Festival in beautiful Gulf Shores!

Lionfish on parade, Acrylic on canvas, 12 x 24 inches
Day 63 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment