Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Behind the scenes


"Behind the Scenes"
This is a good example of what people don't see.
The classes we teach, the people we have community with on a regular basis.
I teach a class at my church called Scripts & Strokes.
It is my 13th year teaching this class, and it's always fun and interesting.
God brings us together in many ways, but painting isn't a typical avenue.
This fall, we're doing a lot of paintings from Psalm 119.
Tonight's piece has to do with two verses.
The first verse is from Matthew 7:13
"You can enter God's kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way."
The second is from Psalm 119:65-72 NLT and is a little broader in its reach.
You have done many good things for me, Lord, just as you promised.
I believe in your commands; now teach me good judgement and knowledge.
I used to wander off until you disciplined me; but now I closely follow your word.
You are good and do only good; teach me your decrees.
Arrogant people smear me with lies, but in truth I obey your commandments with all my heart.
Their hearts are dull and stupid, but I delight in your instructions.
My suffering was good for me, for it taught me to pay attention to your decrees.
Your instructions are more valuable to me than millions in gold and silver.

Lots of laughter and a little learning too!


Today found me erasing pencil lines and brushing the eraser shavings away.
I also had to clean the mats I use to keep my varnish and paint from ruining my table.
They get covered in wood pieces and still have sequins from January on them.
The mats have many, many projects on them from the past.
Christmas ornaments, pieces from church projects, decorations for parties, Mardi gras floats, 
and lots of white paint from coating canvases.
They also have a fair amount of varnish on them too.
They are recycled vinyl from cushions and are an excellent way to keep my table cleanish.
When not in use, they are rolled up in a garbage can in the studio.
After erasing the pencil lines, I have to clean the canvas to prepare it for varnish.
After varnishing, (and sometimes before) I also put wires or hooks on them.
They have to sit for a day or so before packing them into bags for shows.

What is the behind the scenes?
4 hours of work, not creating but simply finishing for shows.
Most people have no idea the amount of work that goes into doing a festival.
I also entered the jury process for four shows today that are not until spring of next year.
It's a lot that goes on behind the scenes.
You only see the finished pieces after all the cutting, measuring, assembling, stretching, stapling, white paint, drawing, painting, glazing, tweaking, erasing, cleaning, putting wires on the backs.


Do I have a smile on my face?
Yes I do!
Completed pieces mean I'm ready for a show!

"Behind the scenes" Acrylic on canvas, 11 x 14 gate painting
Day 78 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2026





 

No comments:

Post a Comment