Thursday, October 9, 2014

Shells, Pelicans and cigar boxes?


This painting represents day 96 of the 100 days. It is another of the shell series I have been doing on 10 x 10 canvases. The colored paintings on white backgrounds are selling well and I am pleased to offer them again this year. 
Nautilus 10 x 10 Acrylic on canvas, Day 96 of the 100 Days~100 Paintings



Days 97 and 98 are Pelicans on a new series offered for the first time this year. I started painting on reclaimed cigar boxes, both as a way to recycle and a way to have something unique to offer my customers. I have painted 14 so far, with more of them threatening to take over the studio. I am pleased to say, they are selling very well as a novelty and gift item.
Cigar box pelicans I and II, Acrylic, Days 97 & 98 of the 100 Days~100 Paintings


Day 99 found me teaching a class to my Scripts & Strokes small group at my church. We do paintings based on scripture, and this one has to do with God taking care of even the birds of the air.
Birds of the Air, acrylic on 16 x 20 canvas, Day 99 of the 100 Days~100 Paintings





More cigar box paintings filled my day 100. Getting ready for the National Shrimp Festival is a chore in itself, with packing and trying to remember everything necessary for a show. Even with a list, I forget to bring things and we have to modify parts of the tent to allow us to put on a show. 
My husband Chris, did a great job making a french wall insert for "his" tent so we could have a sales area behind. He has such a wonderful way of being able to make what I envision. He is also an invaluable help before, during , and after the shows, silently (mostly), quietly(sometimes), listening (I think he is hard of hearing) to me as we set up, break down, and pack up. I could do the shows solo, but it is much more fun with a husband that is so supportive and loving. 
To you Chris, I dedicate this last day of the 100 paintings, for the meals missed, the ability to cook, (or at least "make" dinner by taking us out), for tolerating my grumpiness at yet another show with no "award" but many sales, rejoicing, laughing, traveling, making new friends, but most of all, believing in me enough to support what I love doing. I am so lucky to have a life partner that believes in me and sweats with me doing this thing called art!
Day 100 of the 100 Days~100 Paintings, Acrylic on cigar boxes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment