Sunday, October 6, 2013

Jamaican Shell


 
On a trip to Montego Bay Jamaica in 1999 I brought an extra suitcase. I had every intention of purchasing items for the still lifes I was painting at that time. I was looking at several items, but became irritated at the pushy vendors begging us to come into their space in the market. I managed to ignore them while photographing the wood carver hard at work. When he noticed, he started the banter of "hey mon". I still was not impressed, but wanted to purchase some items from this market area. To the side, there was a woman alone with her wares beautifully displayed and smiling at me. She greeted me when I came to her and quietly asked me in. What a breath of fresh air! She was not at all pushy and very helpful in getting items for my childrens presents. I also purchased some beautiful shells from her. This is one of those shells. She said it was a locally collected specimen. I also purchased a conch from her and a starfish. They have all been featured in several paintings.
These are both 4 x 12 acrylic on canvas, Days 94 & 95 of the 100 Days ~ 100 Paintings
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment