Thursday, August 27, 2020

Archer's sea turtle


Every year now, ever since my grandson was born I have painted him a piece of art.
Eventually when he becomes a man and moves into his own home, he will have a wall of art that he can be proud to display. The past couple of years, he has requested paintings for his birthday. Two years ago was the first one, a marlin chasing a school of fish. Last year he wanted a dolphin and sea turtle playing together. This year was a small request, a baby sea turtle. This painting is his for his very own. This year, I also presented his painting to him on his birthday at a private home party.

This year is so different, so many things not happening because of Covid 19.
I have friends that have lost family members, friends, co-workers.
My friend Alfred in Zimbabwe has also had a scare with something that seemed to be covid, but because medicine was more important than testing we are not certain. Thankfully, he is on the mend. Alfred is also having problems with his mental health as are a lot of artists.
I have had my own demons come in and wreck havoc with the playground of my mind. 
That is, until I have instilled the presence of God in my studio as a stronger power for good.

I have spent the past three weeks completing the illustrations for Sophia's gift.
There are only 12 pages of paintings, but they cover an astounding 22 pages of the book and cover.
10 of the paintings are double spreads.
This project has been a lot more than I expected, more research, more changes, 
more required of my hands and heart.
It was started just as the pandemic hit, and that presented it's own set of challenges.
First came the story line, then the ideas were presented. 
Next, I completed and presented a storyboard of pages for the publisher and author.
I then completed a set of drawings in the actual size for the book at the end of July.
My goal was to have finished the book by the time we would have left for Africa.
August found me with a deadline approaching and I stopped the 100 days~100 paintings 
to be able to complete the project in a timely manner.
Our August leave date for Africa came and went, leaving us both with a sense of loss. 
We were to have gone on to India as well, 
but with both countries borders closed it just was not to be our reality.
We have put in for a claim to our travel insurance, 
praying for a good outcome as it is a lot of money and we would like to have it for next year.
I took the reins of the book, working with a precious author that has entrusted me 
with bringing the people and backgrounds for her words to life.
I can only hope I have shown the story in a way that is both beautiful and historical. 
I meet with the author on Saturday and will discover if I have indeed brought her words to life!
Prayers appreciated for good outcome.

Today also found me trying resin for the first time.
I decided to do it outside because it is epoxy and I was concerned about the odor.
We set up the hardi bord pieces on the back porch, carefully raising them up off the surface so they would not stick. I placed large drop cloths under them, bought special mixing jars and off I went!
I was very nervous, mixing carefully, and pouring them quickly. 
The results were fantastic, with the paintings fairly glowing with the sheen. 
I left them while I went into the studio to complete other work needing to be done.
Chris took a nap, and I worked upstairs.
When I came down, he told me he was going to Ace hardware to get something.
He also mentioned the pieces outside and said the drop cloths had blown onto the pieces.
Keep in mind, these pieces represent two full weeks of work.
It was probably the best that he left the house.
It gave me a chance to calm down some and get determined to try and salvage what I could.
Half the works are untouched, the other eight however......
I separated the remaining pieces from the majority of the drop cloth material.
Laying them all out on top of bowls and keeping them lifted.
Mind you, the paint is not damaged, only the resin putting texture in places I don't want.
We shall see what happens with these pieces as some of them have significant damage.
In the meantime, I have calmed down, and even laughed a little about the lesson learned.
You see, I taped down one side that kept flipping up, but not the other.
Ironic, lesson learned.

Another day, another painting.....

Archer's sea turtle, Acrylic on canvas, 4x4 inches
Day 60 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2020




I am back to creating now, working for myself and for the 100 days~100 paintings.
I have already managed to create a large octopus to replace the one sold last Saturday at 
Stewart Heath Gallery.
I will present him tomorrow on the next post. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment