The first of two pelicans painted while in Orange Beach for the Freedom Fest this past weekend.
This one was day 81 of the 100 days.
I painted in the camper while we were relaxing after we set up the tent and wall system on Friday.
This wall system is the main reason for doing this show to practice the actual building.
This is hopefully so we don't get into words at the Shrimp Festival in two weeks.
I knew that this weekend would be a hot one, but boy did we both underestimate the heat and humidity.
Chris forgot closed toe shoes, so he needed a new pair.
We forgot the batteries for the fans that go on our chairs.
We also picked up a couple of bottles of zero drinks with electrolytes and downed them.
I began getting sick to my stomach during set up.
Water is just simply not enough.
We will be bringing a case with us to the Shrimp Festival for sure.
Also, an ice chest that doesn't leak.
This painting was done on Saturday at the show.
So many problems cropped up this weekend that we both have made mental notes about.
The good news is we had delightful neighbors kept us laughing the whole Festival.
Even when we all felt like we were melting like the witch from the Wizard of Oz.
Friday night, we met up with our son and daughter in love.
We had a fantastic meal at the Steamer in Gulf Shores.
Chris and I shared a platter for two that was amazing and also too much to eat!
We met at our camper later that evening and started coloring the carousel animals for Jennas costume.
We turned in about 9 pm for some well-earned rest.
Saturday dawned and we ate breakfast in the camper.
Off we went to the show.
Every show is different, but each show is a learning process as well.
This one was a good lesson.
Several lessons actually.
Starting out, we had the things we forgot, the fans mostly and boy did we feel it all day.
The day was long, the sweat was real, and we looked forward to evening when we could shut down.
No sales at all that day.
None.
It's been five years since I've had a zero show and that one was because of heat too.
Maybe Sunday will be better.
We ended up getting dinner with our son and daughter at the Sunliner Diner in Orange Beach.
I had a large salad to help with cooling off from the long hot day.
We finished by Chris and Jenna splitting a banana split and our son Jere' had a vanilla shake and I had the leftovers in the mixing cup.
We turned in, hoping that Sunday would be a better day.
We started out the day with breakfast with the "kids" at Ducks in Orange Beach.
(We eat out a lot when we're on the road and at shows, I cook during the week though!)
We split and then headed to the camper to pick up a couple of items and head to the show.
We only had five hours on Sunday thankfully.
Chris and I watched online church and really enjoyed what we could hear between the planes, golf carts, Loud cars, motorcycles, and music blaring over the speakers.
Church is always a challenge when we are on the road, but we make the effort.
The day progressed with the usual slowness of a Sunday, as people are hopefully going to church.
I had a woman come in and rave about my work the day before.
She said she was going to put me on her interior designers radar.
I usually take these people with a grain of salt because most of the time, nothing at all comes of it.
The woman from the day before came back and said her friend was dropping by in about an hour.
It ended up being longer, but she did finally show up and we had a lovely conversation.
I will be working directly with the lady who introduced us, apparently the designers communication skills are not real good.
We'll see how far that goes, as she is interested in large pieces for several condos she's designing.
Originals only.
No discounts discussed. (That's a FIRST!)
The designer asked if no one else had me working for them.
I laughed and said I wish!
She may want murals too!
Praying this is a reality this time.
I have been contacted, talked to, and done presentations at shows before and
never had anyone actually follow through.
After that excitement the day really slowed down with 65% humidity and
temperatures feeling like 100+.
More people on Sunday, but not a single sale.
I am surprisingly calm about this, even though there is the loss of income and money spent.
We had a lovely weekend.
Break down was brutal though in the heat.
Not only did I not make any money but was rather warm even for me!
We headed to Walmart after breaking down to get large Zeros again to get the electrolytes back into us.
We cooled off in the camper and ate chicken salad I made with lettuce wraps.
We lazed around, got showers and hit the bed at 9pm.
Going to bed early was a problem for me later in the night.
I slept until 1, then fitfully for the rest of the night.
Started on Sunday, finished on Monday.
We got up at 6:30, and drank coffee while I did my Bible readings as I do every day.
We then went to breakfast this morning.
We tried to go to the Ugly Diner, but they were closed on Mondays.
We ended up at the Waffle House in Gulf Shores.
After breakfast we broke down the camper, I cleaned inside and Chris got things going outside.
I loaded up laundry and foodstuffs, ready for our homecoming.
I finished just as Chris did, and we hit the road.
We got home by 11 to a sink leaking and happy dachshunds.
Chris went to get items to repair the sink while I started laundry, and put away food and toiletries.
I replaced a lightbulb in the hallway while doing laundry.
I then determined I wanted to back up the trailer into the carport.
It took several tries, with Chris nervously giving directions, but I finally got it done.
We then closed the gates and released the hounds into the yard.
We unloaded the van from all the art, equipment, and storage system, putting everything away.
We then went to try and get the parts for the sink, a trip to the bank, a salad shared at Zaxbys.
A really full day, but laundry is done, food put away, and for the most part we're almost set for the next show which is the 53rd Annual National Shrimp Festival in Gulf Shores, Alabama
Somewhere in there, was painting!
Four days and a show!, Acrylic on Canvas, each 6 x 24inches
Days 81, 82, 83, & 84 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2026


No comments:
Post a Comment