Tuesday, August 18, 2026

NOT a painting !


NOT a painting!
Obviously, right?
I still worked all day on the Little Rebel for a client of my daughters.
I'm praying that it is what she wanted.
It measures over 21 inches.
She uses the one she had before as a centerpiece for tailgating with flowers and other items.

I started by gluing multiple sheets of foam board using gorilla glue to make a block.
This is the same way we made the sea turtle nest that is at the Dauphin Island Sea lab.
The turtle nest has a 'bulletproof' coating of PVA paint, glue and sand.
It is really hard.
I spent several hours carving the foam into the shape needed.
I worked inside a box to try and contain the foam pieces from going all over the shop.
Of course, Chris wanted me to use big tools, but they kind of scare me.
I started with the band saw.
Tried the vibrating cut off tool.
Went to my flex shaft Dremel with a cut off wheel and ended up with a small wire brush.
Moved on to my trusty razors, changing blades frequently because the foam dulls the blade.
Some more wire brushing.
Some additional added pieces.
A dimensional mustache, beard, and nose additions were made.
I also filled out the brim of the hat.
Incredible amounts of removal to see the final piece.
There's a whole can of foam pieces cut off.
This one is intended as a topiary of sorts.
I don't think it photographs well at all.
There is a lot of detailing that cannot be seen because of the sphagnum moss covering it.
I used super 77 to glue the moss to him and that stuff is so messy!
Both the moss and the super 77.
It has also been given a light coating of satin varnish to help hold the moss in place.
Did I say it was messy?
I did all the work outside in the heat with a fan running.
Thank the Lord, it's done.
And BOY am I glad to take that one off my plate!
I pray she loves it!

Today marks 16 years since we received our Certificate of occupancy 
for the Raccoon Retreat in beautiful Fairhope, Alabama.
For those that don't know, my husband and I built our home together in Fairhope.
It is the second house we built, and the third one that was only renovated.
We built the house here in 2010 in about 6 months.
I was here on the job site every day during the build.
16 years of living in our own little paradise that is our home.
Happy home anniversary to us!

Tomorrow, I have to paint a LOT of canvases as Chris stretched while I painted yesterday.
26 more to create upon, including a couple of really unique ones!

That's all for today folks!
Thanks for dropping by!

NOT a painting!, Foam board, glue and moss, 21 inches tall
Day 50 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2026

No comments:

Post a Comment