Sunday, August 2, 2026

Turtle and Pelican


The best part about being a professional artist?
People wanting and collecting your art!
 I am so fortunate to have collectors that continue to add to their collection.
I was contacted this week by someone who has several pieces of my work in their home.
He was inquiring about something that still blows my mind.

Last year, I started the rounds in earnest and opened the National Shrimp Festival 
with over 25 of them on display.
I sold half of them in just the first day!
I was in shock but shouldn't have been.
You see, I had prayed about the new series and the Holy Spirit revealed to me that the rounds were the next big thing in my art career.
The Sepia series was the beginning, over 15 years old and 
before Chip and Joanna Gaines became popular.
I was right on the edge of a new decorating trend of neutral tones.
The first ones were in shadowbox frames purchased at Michaels, painted, and distressed.
There were 12 x 12 canvases in the frames.
The frames were fragile, hard to carry, and difficult to obtain.
I then prayed again and started the deep edged canvas and no frames.
Still white backgrounds, and sepia toned paintings.
I loved wrapping the edges with the sea creatures I created.
The next big thing came as an accident, but also after prayer. 
I had glanced at the shadowbox canvas at Michaels, 
but had dismissed them as too expensive for me to invest in.
Lo and behold, I went to Michaels again after a successful National Shrimp Festival 
and they were on clearance!
I couldn't believe the price, and I had the money to invest in them.
I bought all 22 they had on hand.
I painted them all and took them to Peter Anderson in Ocean Springs, MS.
We sold half of them that weekend.
My husband asked, can you get any more of these?
I said no, they're discontinued and no one else makes them.
(I had been looking ever since I purchased them.)
We still had a few left in the Spring and my wonderful husband came to me and quietly said,
"I think I can build them."
Such joy!
I told him, "I just figured out how to stretch them."
My precious partner in art has built over 500 of them so far and has innovated the designs, 
pushing me to greater works of art.
This year will bring new pieces on unusual sizes and offsets.
I then prayed again about a question I kept getting asked at shows.
"Why don't you paint bigger?"
This was when the multiple canvas works were started.
They are several years old and still going strong.
I then started the rounds, and I have been so amazed at their reception.

Which brings me back to the collector's request.
Another round.
Another Dead Men tell no tales.
This will be the fifth one in the series!
So fun to paint, but such a headache to cut out with all of its openings to the background.
Still incredible to me!
I've also been commissioned to do an extremely customized round that will go to England as a special presentation gift for a friend and business partner.
More on that one later!
Yesterday's piece was this turtle.
I love painting turtles and hope I never have to stop.
I'm really happy too as our area is finally seeing the results of so many years of protecting turtle nests.
There are over 80 nests this year on the coast of Alabama alone!


I painted this one today, in between church, cooking and designing the new works.
It's an amazing time here in the Raccoon Retreat Studio, here in beautiful Fairhope, Alabama!

Turtle and Pelican, Acrylic on canvas, 4x12 inches 
Days 33 and 34 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2026


No comments:

Post a Comment