"Death in a snail shell"
This is a cone snail shell from the Philippines.
My dad was stationed at Clark Air Force Base in the country.
Mom and I arrived a few months later around Christmas time.
It was a happy time for me as my parents did a lot for and with me.
I had started first grade at E.R.Dickson in Mobile, Alabama.
When we moved, I started back to school.
My parents eventually started their scuba diving as a hobby.
With the scuba equipment designed by Jacques Cousteau, my parents were able to go into the undersea world that became my later obsession.
My six-year-old self was able to spend many hours in the arm of the bonka boat owned by Tony Bahalana. As long as I stayed in the arm of the boat, I could swim and watch my parents below. I played in their bubbles and relished the shells my parents brought home from the sea. We had an ant bed near our home that they would put the shells into, and the ants did an amazing job of cleaning them.
I am not certain how the cone shells were procured and cleaned without my parents becoming victims of the shells. I only know my parents collected many cones in various designs. They became my fathers obsession, as well as him identifying them and placing carefully written names. He put a label in this one that identified it as a Radiatus-1.
He got the Radiatus part correct. I suspect the #1 as the first of his Radiatus he captured. Radiatus or Rayed Cone. Also called Conus ochroleucus.
These are marine gastropod mollusks belonging to the family Conidae.
They typically inhabit tropical and subtropical oceans, they often bury themselves in the sand near coral reefs or shallow coastal waters. The death part, they can be beach collected if they are empty.
Live cone shells are highly predatory and very venomous. They use a harpoon like tooth to inject potent neurotoxins that can be fatal to humans. I remember one of the children from the village getting stung. The ensuing panic in the village had my father trying to save the child, and my mother rushing me away from the scene so I didn't see what happened.
Needless to say, my parents had a long talk with me about not picking up any shells on the beach like this child did. My dad was deeply saddened over this child and not being able to save her. Later on, he was able to save another child with mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.
Life lessons learned at an early age.
Death in a snail shell, Acrylic on canvas, 6 x 24 inches
Day 58 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2026
No comments:
Post a Comment