Today is Archer's birthday.
Archer is our first grandchild, and he is an amazing young man.
He turned 13 today.
I have a teenaged grandson.
It seems like yesterday when he was born.
I barely got to Mobile when our daughter and her husband rushed out the door because she was in labor.
We all went to the hospital and the waiting began.
I was glad I had a painting to work on while waiting.
I painted him a crab the day he was born.
Each year, he gets a new painting added to his collection.
The first few years I choose the painting.
The last few, he has chosen what he wants for his painting.
This year I had been working on the lion as a demonstration piece.
I asked Archer if he wanted it for his 13th birthday.
All his other paintings are on flat canvas.
This is his first shadowbox.
The paintings are supposed to stay with me until his 18th birthday, but they are starting to take over.
He mentioned he wants them in his room now.
Soon he will have all of them, ranging in size from 4 x 8 to 18 x 24 inches
I will help him hang them.
He has a wide range of pieces from a gecko to a sailfish, a rhino to a portrait of his dog.
They are all in sepia, so they all go together.
Each one has the date and the year on the back.
A funny aside today.
I asked for a 12 x 36 shadowbox with a 6 x 18 opening.
When I saw it, I realized my huge mistake.
The opening was too small.
It will make an awesome blue crab though!
I needed a 12 x 36 with a 6 x 30 opening.
He provided that today.
I also asked Chris if he could build me some 6 x 24 flats as they are a popular series and I am out.
I went to work in the studio, Chris went to the shop.
I worked for a couple of hours, then decided to fix something for lunch.
Tuna fish sandwiches with chips would do nicely.
No chips.
No sweet relish either.
I went out to the shop to tell Chris I was going to the store.
He proudly showed me 5 12 x 24 shadowboxes.
I said nothing, went to the store purchased the items I needed, then came home.
We ate lunch, then we went to pick up some art supplies I found online.
In our conversation, I asked if he could build the 6 x 24s now.
He started laughing.
I thought you wanted 12 x 24s.
I said no, I told you I had plenty of shadowboxes, I needed the 6 x 24s.
He thought it was so funny that he apparently heard 6 and 24,
but thought I wanted shadowboxes 12 x 24.
The 12 x 24 shadowboxes have a 6 x 18 opening in them.
I now have 5 extra 12 x 24s.
More to stretch and stack up in preparation for more paintings!
And now I'm tired and ready for bed.
Goodnight!
Archer's Lion, Acrylic on shadowbox canvas, 24 x 24 inches
Day 44 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2026

No comments:
Post a Comment