Friday, August 28, 2026

A Conus Textile


"Conus Textile"
Otherwise commonly known as a Textile Cone.
I much prefer the other common name, "Cloth of Gold Cone".
Such a pretty name for such a deadly creature.
I am amazed at the sheer amount of cone shells my parents brought home from the Philippines.
Back in the 60's it was common to collect shells as mementos.
My parents took it to a whole new level I believe.
I am looking forward to visiting the razor corals, fan coral, turbans, 
scallops, and auger shells, and yes more cone shells.
So many memories coming back as a result of visiting these beautiful reminders of my adventures with my parents in a foreign country.

Little did my mother and I know that dad was setting up things for the Air Force in 
Vietnam while we were there in the Philippines.
My dad was in a heavily classified position, so he didn't talk much about his job.
All I knew was when he went to Vietnam, I had a special set of wheels made from cassette tape reels that were my code breaking key when coded letters arrived from the base.
It was all very exciting to my young self and gave me a fascination for codes and word puzzles that sticks with me to this day.

Ah the memories of childhood.
Tropical islands, breezes, and salt water.
I long for the sea still.
I guess I'm still a mermaid deep in my heart.
I visit the sea with my brush daily, and yet I don't get wet!

Thanks for coming along with me.

A Conus Textile, Acrylic on canvas, 6 x 24
Day 60 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2026




 

No comments:

Post a Comment