Another day, another painting.
This one is of the Venus comb my parents pulled from the ocean.
My parents shell collection from the Philippines was extensive,
because they went diving as much as they could afford.
I got to go frequently, swimming in the arm of the Bonka boat for hours on end
while my parents dove below.
It was an idyllic life, watching my parents dive below me,
bringing me things from the bottom of the sea.
We would bring the shells home and place them in the ant bed that was near our front door.
The ants did an incredible job of cleaning the live animals from the shell while leaving the incredible remains for me to see.
Beautiful memories of childhood.
I got the collection when my parents both passed away and
I was clearing the house for my brother to sell.
I now get to look at them, enjoy them, and even paint them!
More history about the sepia series.
This is about the shadowbox canvas.
They started the fall of 2015.
This is the first time I showed them.
I had seen the canvases at Michaels, but in my mind were too expensive and keep my pricing reasonable.
I had a really good National Shrimp Festival that year.
I went to Michaels afterward to pick up small canvas.
They had all of their shadowbox canvas on sale, clearance actually.
The prices were too good to resist, and I love a great sale.
I bought all 22 they had, asked them to call the Mobile store to see if they had more.
I painted all of them and took them to Peter Anderson in Mississippi.
We sold half of them that weekend.
Chris asked if I could get any more of them.
I told him I had been researching, but they were nowhere to be found.
We finished the fall season with some of them left over.
The following Spring, I was at another show in Mississippi when my husband came to me and said,
"I think I figured out how to build them", I said "Good, I figured out how to stretch them!"
We haven't looked back since then.
Chris has opened the boxes, made different sizes, made custom sizes,
designed offset boxes and so much more.
We estimate Chris has built over 500 of them so far!
I am so grateful to have him on my team.
My 12th year painting on the shadowboxes.
I still love them!
A Venus comb, Acrylic on canvas, 15 x 30 inches
Day 41 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2026


No comments:
Post a Comment