Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Great Blues


"The Great Blues"
So many paintings are in my head and coming out from my brush.
This pair was incredibly fun to paint.
I always enjoy the process of these Shadowbox paintings.
It can be a challenge to make sure everything fits without looking totally weird.
Great blue herons are extremely territorial and because of this innate 
behavior can be really entertaining to watch.

Take for example the two we witnessed on the beach the other day.
Both were males, but I believe that one of them was the son and one was the father.
The dad was having none of the son encroaching on his territory.
We watched as he chased the other one down the beach and further away.
I don't know the exact area they defend as their own, but they do defend it rather exuberantly.
They do this with the most annoying sound too!
I would call it almost a growl of sorts as they fly through the air.
The son beat it pretty quickly as dad chased him down the beach.

I've also witnessed bluebirds in our own yard do this same dance.
We have one male that has his chosen box at the end of our pool, and he defends it rather heartily.
One year, the mated pair had three babies and all of them were males!
Woe is me is all that one of them could probably say as dad chased him from the favorite box.
Such flashes of blue beauty flying through the trees!
All three sons eventually found their own territory and happiness ensued.
I love to watch them sitting on top of the house, looking for their next bug filled meal.
I even leave fruit outside to attract the bugs for them to hunt.
We also give them meal worms as that is their favorite!

I absolutely love birds and painting them.
I pray you enjoy looking at them as well.

"Great Blues" Acrylic on shadowbox canvas, 24 x 24
Day 86 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2026

 

No comments:

Post a Comment