Sunday, October 6, 2019

Wonderful Whales


These two just make me happy!
It is a depiction of that moment when a calf is born and the mother pushes 
it to the surface for it's first breath of air.
Several years ago, I had a painting called "Bonding".
It was a beautiful piece, all in deep blues and grays.
Remember, when I first started painting, my colors were very strong.
So strong in fact that a lot of people would look at my work and say,
"I don't know if that color would go on my wall".
I became frustrated, literally pounding my head against the back of the tent while at a show.
I asked God what am I doing wrong?
God said you're doing nothing wrong, just go more neutral.
Neutral?
You see, this was before the days of Chip and Joanna Gaines.
The "Neutral" movement with furniture, walls, and accessories had not really started yet.
That's the year the sepias began.
That's the year my oldest daughter said "Mom I don't know if I like that. It's just not you."
I said let's give this a chance.
That series is still going strong 10 years later!
They have grown of course, to include shadowbox canvas and multiple canvas pieces.
It really helps to pay attention when God speaks!
I love listening for his voice on an hourly basis.
I'm asking, what would you have me do Lord?
Then I listen.
I pray a lot while I'm painting as well.
I love it when God speaks!


Anyway, this painting, was called "Bonding."
It depicted the protection of the mother and her calf.
I had it at a show in Mississippi, and a woman came into my booth.
She said "I was Wylands secretary for many years, and I just had to tell you, when I saw this painting I thought it was one of his."
Wyland, when I first started painting was one of the artists that inspired me.
So many years later, I now have peace with color, my color is more peaceful as well.
I still love painting in color, as you have seen these past weeks and months.
The sepias are still my favorite though!

We've had a wonderful day here at the Raccoon Retreat Studio.
Gypsy Gal pulled out of our driveway early this morning and is now safely at her new home.
We went to church and our souls were filled with a great sermon.
Chris worked in his studio and I helped make fidget pillows for seniors at the ESAC.
We also delivered a table to the someone from church.
A busy day indeed!

Wonderful Whales, Acrylic on poured background canvas, 4 x 12 inches
Day 97 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment