Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Sailing~Sailing



     There are numerous things I adore about the water, but without a doubt sailing is high on the list. That first beautiful peace and quiet that occurs when the sails are unfurled and the wind catches the boat is so zen. The sound is even cleaner after the motor is turned off and the only noise you hear is the wind rushing by your ears. It is a sight to behold the first time someone is on a sailboat and realizes the quiet power of the wind. We had a guy holding the tiller one time while we set up and when the motor was turned off and the wind caught us his face broke out in the most incredible grin I have ever seen. He was impressed with the power and speed acheived only by the wind. I think he was hooked!
        I was introduced to sailing by my father, so I learned the names of a lot of things on a sailboat. I can name more things about a sailboat than most women can even begin to think about. Consequently, when I am teaching about painting a boat, I am naming things that confuse most people (including the husband).
       Fortunately or unfortunately (however you look at it) I can also name more tools, parts of houses, painting terms, etc......... I have to back up quite frequently to explain what I have already explained in my mind or teach others while I am teaching the terms I use. It makes for a rather comical class at times with students sometimes requesting the "Barney" explanation.
      I love this part of teaching painting as it means people are learning!
Bay Boat I ~ 10 x 10 Acrylic on canvas



     This little boat  is another part of the series of "Bay Boats" Perfect for a little boys room or office.
Bay Boat II ~ 10 x 10 Acrylic on canvas


     Boat three in the Bay Boats series~ while they don't look like it here, the backgrounds are all the same color, so they could be hung together as a set.
Bay Boats III ~ 10 x 10 Acrylic on Canvas

No comments:

Post a Comment