Friday, July 8, 2016

Little blue


If you've lived here for any time at all you will run into Blue Crabs somewhere on a menu. I have eaten several types of crabs, because of living in multiple parts of our beautiful country.

We moved back to the deep south~Mobile, Alabama specifically in 1976 after my father retired from the Air Force. It was a few years before I tried Blues, because our family focused on Shrimp and Oysters because of their plentiful supply. However, after meeting the love of my life, Chris Chavez he introduced me to this most delightful of crabs. I eat them frequently now, mostly in the form of crab claws at our favorite local restaurant, Market by the Bay. 

Having eaten so many crabs, I really enjoy painting them too! My mother used to travel with me to shows, helping where she could. At one show in particular, she asked if I would ever tire of painting crabs. I said hopefully never and definitely not tired of them now. They are some of my best sellers by far, colored and sepia toned, shadowboxes and angled canvases. I can just about paint them in my sleep now after so many years. The crabs that have left my easel have ranged in size from 4 inches to 48 inches. They are still one of my favorites to paint!

Little Blue, Acrylic on canvas, 4 x 4 inches, Day 4 of the 100 days~100 paintings

No comments:

Post a Comment