Thursday, July 14, 2016

Vintage Beach V



Nothing says beach like a dress! At least it looks like a dress to me. 
I would absolutely wear this as a dress, although a little longer! 
I collect vintage patterns and have a bathing suit  one from the fifties. They almost always looked like a short dress, with little bloomers you wore underneath. 
Keep in mind, spandex was not even invented yet I think. I remember a suit of my own in the early 60's made from double knit. Bulky, to say the least. In the fifties, most of the fabrics used in bathing suits was cotton or silk. None of the super stretchy fabrics we have now. The suits had gathers around the legs to make them fit, and if your legs were not big enough to fill them, you had this bunchy fabric hanging around your bottom!
Ah, the good old days! At least we did not have to wear long bloomers and carry an umbrella like our great~great grandmothers did!

Vintage Beach V, Acrylic on canvas, 20 x 20
Day 10 of the 100 days~100 paintings 

No comments:

Post a Comment