Thursday, September 21, 2017

Looking at you kid!


Okay,
Back to shadowboxes. 
This weekends show is rapidly approaching and I am slightly worried. 
Not about the show mind you, but my voice. 
I have been to the doctor, and I am not contagious and it's not the flu! I am concerned people will think otherwise about me not being contagious after they hear me talk!

I sound like Froggy from the Our Gang series.
My voice comes and goes at a whim, singing is out of the question of course!
(I sing somewhat in my studio when I'm painting, or at least hum!)
It does not help that I have taught 5 classes this week, with a total of about 13 hours of almost 
non-stop lecture and story telling while teaching.
I have myself on voice rest, avoiding the phone, and TRYING not to talk with my husband!
This tickle in my throat has GOT to go!

Looking at you kid, is today's painting for the 100 days. Taking an afternoon to paint after teaching this morning, I still have a couple of hours of varnishing to do!
The life of an artist is hard work and you have to be extremely disciplined.
No boss, yes except yourself!
You also have to motivate yourself as well.
Behind the paintings are buying lumber, ripping it to size, and building the stretcher bars.
This is done by my loving husband that sometimes gets a brad nail into a finger for his efforts!
Afterward he hands them to me, and if they are shadowboxes, they require three separate pieces of canvas stapled into place. I then put a wood backing to protect the canvas. Next I paint them white with soft body acrylic paint, sometimes two coats. They are then stacked in the studio with plastic between to keep them from sticking to one another. They are then sketched, painted, and signed. After all this is done, I put rings and wires on the back for hanging. Lastly, they are varnished, sometimes two coats.
Which reminds me, I have a studio full of paintings to varnish before the first show this weekend.
Again, Discipline............

Looking at you kid! , Acrylic on canvas, 24 x 24
Day 81 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2017 

No comments:

Post a Comment