Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Abstracting life


Abstract art has eluded me for years.
I admit I don't understand it, don't usually create it, and sometimes don't like it at all!

This canvas is another one of those things laying around waiting for completion.
A few years back, I was contacted by someone professing to want to purchase one of my paintings from my blog. After several emails back and forth, we agreed on a price for purchase and shipping. Check arrived and it was for a lot more than quoted!
I was then told the extra was for "handling"and to just deposit the check.
I took it to my bank, because something just told me it was a scam.
The gentleman helping me kept popping the check with his fingers, saying it didn't feel right. He called the bank the check was from and identified himself. The company it was representing was different from the people that contacted me as well. 
I started receiving texts from several different people, asking me if I deposited the check repeatedly.
I asked where do I send the pieces?
They stopped calling because they realized the jig was up and I was not sending the painting.
Long and short of it, it was a scam.
I wrote about it online, listing names, phone numbers and email addresses. 
(and a caveat that this was who I thought it was, not accusing anyone of guilt.)
I have received several thank yous from artists approached by the same people, telling me it prevented them from making a mistake. 

Anyway, while this was all going on, I had really sold the painting in question. I sketched out another, knowing I could send the new one to the party online.
They stopped contacting me, I sold the original, and now I had a canvas sketched, primed and gathering dust! That all ended today when I completed it in a style I am not familiar with.
It could be a nautilus, a rams horn, or a staircase depending on how you look at it. 
This painting is very light and airy and has a beauty all it's own.
Painted in pastels and pearl paints, it was so fun to complete!
By the way, it is a nautilus of sorts!

Abstracting life, Acrylic on canvas, 24x 24
Day 76 of the 100 days~100 paintings Spring 2019



2 comments:

  1. What a fiasco! The Nautilus is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This painting is beautiful despite its shady seekers!

    ReplyDelete