Thursday, August 29, 2019

Are you a sandpiper?


Are you a Sandpiper?
Am I a Sandpiper?

Today was my last day for this year to walk the beautiful beach looking for a sea turtle nest.
You think about lots of things while walking a mile in the darkness just before dawn.
I was alone with my thoughts today as Chris was having a tooth pulled later this morning.

My thoughts wander a lot while walking.
This morning though I felt as if God was speaking to me about the beauty 
he provides in this world we live in and he created.
This morning it was sandpipers, seagulls, and Blue herons providing the background for my thoughts.
I was on the first leg of my one mile walk, and I had my sights focused on the sand above the wrack line, looking for sea turtle tracks. 
However, the sandpiper was just ahead of me, in my peripheral vision.
I glanced off and on at the little bird ahead of me, rushing with the edge of the water.
He occasionally poked his beak down, searching for the mussels that could become breakfast.
He passed up lots of little fish that were getting washed up along the shore.
In the meantime though he kept a wary eye on me, looking furtively back every few seconds.
His feet moving so fast, he rushed on ahead still looking back frequently.
He dipped his beak searching for a meal and I got too close for his comfort. 
The bird decided to change tactics and ran into the water toward me, 
then cutting past in a brown and white blur.
His feet were moving so fast, I could not even see them.
I snickered to myself, that he was so worried I was going to hurt, eat,
 or possibly kill him while he was rushing along.

That's when God spoke to me.
His human creation (us) are the sandpipers.
Stick with me here.
We rush along, searching for the next big thing.
We miss the little things he places in our lives every day.
Searching for the next big thing. 
We are constantly running along, instead of taking advantage of the  obvious.
Meanwhile, we are running, looking back to make sure that something doesn't catch us.
We run first in one direction, then the other trying to escape.
Sometimes we miss the big waves, or the tangled fishing line that the devil throws in our way.
We are constantly running, scared to death that life is going to catch us and throw us for a loop.
We are looking back at our past lives instead of focusing on the here and now.
We also forget about our future life, what we were created for.

But what if God is the one chasing us?
What if he is working so hard to catch you, but you won't stop.
We all think we can fix our lives, our past, our present, our future.
Be still and listen for him, he will talk to you.
His son Jesus (your brother!) is right next to you, pleading for you to just stop and give God the time of day.
We were all created for a purpose, to love and serve God in whatever capacity he chooses to give us.
Give him the time out of your day.
To Pray.
To Walk with him.
To listen.
To learn.

Are you a sandpiper?
I'm pray I am not!
I constantly listen for him to speak to me.

Are you a sandpiper? Acrylic on poured background, 4x12 inches
Day 59 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment