Monday, August 19, 2019

Pride and Pours!


Well, I've done it!
I've allowed myself to "play" and pour!

Celebration Church located in Fairhope, Alabama had a Pinterest group meet last Saturday. 
I don't know the exact count, but I think there was at least 25 to 30 women there interested in learning how to paint pour.
I was one of them.
I went really and truly to learn what all the hubbub was about this method of applying paint.
I am not an abstract sort of artist, and at best I hoped to have something that might be pretty to look at, 
but not really something to add to my painting process.
I was proud of my process in laying paint with brushes on canvas.
I helped others with their pieces, thinking carefully about the paint colors I wanted to use on mine.
A couple of the ladies had also made too many cups of the pour mixture, 
so I grabbed them and  used their excess to mix mine.
It is a very interesting process to see unfold, the paints flowing and spilling over the edges in beautiful ways. Once I finished with helping, it was my turn to turn my cups into something, maybe something beautiful!
Carefully mixing my colors and layering them into cups, I took a deep breath and flipped them onto the canvas. I then tilted the canvas to cover the edges, making a mess with the excess paint. 
(I am very concerned about the amount of paint wasted with this process, 
and am thinking very hard about how to do it differently.)
Once I was satisfied with my piece, I carefully transported it to the garage with the others.
We filled the garage with our pieces, laid all over the place on pieces of cardboard. I could not stand to see the leftover paint all over the table and asked for another canvas to try and create another background.
The garage was an amazing display of beautiful abstracts, in a gorgeous array of colors and neutrals.
I had to wait like the others for it to dry overnight. After church, we went by the house and picked up the canvases. Taking them home, they were still very tacky and 
I put them in my studio and turned the ceiling fan on. 
I could not wait until it felt dry.
I knew what I wanted to paint on the top of this abstract watery looking background.
The turtle you see is the completed work!
I could not be much happier than I am right now.

Look out, I am hooked, and there will be several pieces in the future, 
once I figure out the process without the silicon oil.
I also have a friend that is going to coat several canvas using this process.

"Incredible beauty" , Acrylic pour and painted canvas, 16 x 20
Day 49 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2019


1 comment:

  1. That's beautiful Loran! It looks like he's swimming in the water current. Keep doing this, I know you'll have your method perfected in no time!!

    ReplyDelete