Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Middle Bay Lighthouse


Middle Bay lighthouse sits in Mobile Bay. It began it's work as a lighthouse on December 1st, 1885.
It was decommissioned in 1967 and was slated for demolition in 1971. 
Public outcry was so great, they decided to leave it where it stands now.
23 children have called it home.

One cow lived there for a few months, the lighthouse keeper's wife had a baby that would not nurse.
They moved the cow out there to provide milk for the baby.
I've talked with someone that said it was a black and white cow. I have also conversed with one of my friends that said her father brought hay out to the cow. I've always wanted to depict the cow, but I can not find out for certain where it was kept. Some historians say it was on the gallery, others a barge. 
I can only only imagine a herd animal being forced to live on the ocean by itself. 
I have read somewhere that it lowed constantly.
Anyway, the cow, wife, baby and light keeper were evacuated 5 months later when a hurricane threatened our stretch of the coast in 1916.

Middle Bay Lighthouse, Acrylic on canvas, 8x8 inches
Day 51 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2019

1 comment: