Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Mightiest Octopus ~ Mighty job!


Warning, Long post!
I am worn out today.
It has been a big week of hard work.
Let me begin by telling you that this is not a complaint.
My tired is an accomplished kind of tired.
You see, it's been a busy week of long days.
Not necessarily because of many hours, but because of the work involved.
Let me explain.....

The octopus you see is a flip of one I painted originally for sale at Big Fish as a request.
This gentleman was building a house and wanted a really big octopus 
as the house has an octopus theme.
I had designed this one in reverse and it was one I had been pondering for a while.
But it was only on paper.
I needed custom canvases to complete him.
Two 16 x 30 canvas and two 16 x 20, with a 16 x 40 in the center.
The entire creature is not even visible here.
There is slightly more to the top and bottom of the center canvas.
Put together, it measures 40 inches tall, and 80 inches wide.
Hang it, and it probably measures 86 inches wide.
Anyway, the gallery said go for it.
The gentleman couldn't decide and I told the gallery owner I was taking it on the road for shows.
(He ended up purchasing another octopus I already had at the store.)
I was not unhappy at all to take this beautiful octopus on a five-week swing into Florida.
Little did I know it would sell at the first show!
Gulp!
My biggest, most expensive piece was now gone, taking several square feet of wall art with it.
15.5 square feet to be exact.
I ended up painting another smaller five-piece octopus that week on the road.
(It was only 9 square feet, but still impressive.)
So, 5 months later I revisited him in reverse.
I try not to duplicate my works, but a reverse is still different.
My plan is to put him on the left side of the booth at the 50th Annual National Shrimp Festival this year.
On the right side of the booth will most likely be the reverse again in full color!
(Again, still an original)
I can see the booth in my mind, and it seems to be coming together very nicely.
Problem is, storing this beautiful beast after I finish it!


I am indeed blessed this week!
I was fortunate to have a collector pick up her three shadowbox pieces this week.
She ordered them while I was still in Africa on mission.
Two turtles and an octopus in sepia.
This makes a total of 9 pieces in her home that were painted by my hands.
I am so grateful!
Now, to the crab above.
Another piece ordered while I was out of the country.
She is headed to Amelia Island off the coast of Florida.
The couple originally purchased a turtle from me there and ordered this beautiful lady.
She measures 20 x 24 inches.


I am also sneaking in some time to work on the ornaments for this year.
I created while Chris drove to orange beach.
So grateful for a spouse that doesn't mind a little mess in the car.
This will be the last year for glass, unless it's special ordered.
I have already purchased and painted 100 wood discs for the flat ornaments this year.
I also have these really neat boxes that are the perfect size.


These shadowbox canvases are just part of the 26 we stretched this week.
They all have to be painted white, and I did part of that today.
Yesterday was another dozen, I just didn't have room on my table for more.
All are now ready for sepia or colorful creatures.
We still had lots of lumber available to make more, so I told Chris go ahead.
Problem is, now I have another large batch of 16 to stretch and paint.
Hours and hours keeping me from the easel, but very necessary.
Each canvas takes about an hour of work to complete, between cutting the wood,
making the frames, cutting the canvas, stretching them, then painting them white.
These custom canvases are part of my signature style .
I am so grateful to have a spouse who simply says, "I still have more lumber, what do you want?"
Even in the 100-degree heat here in the deep south.
I am such a lucky lady to have my husband Chris in my life.
I love you honey!


Tonight I stretched another 4 for the new octopus.
Two 16 x 30 and two 16 x 20, I already have the 16 x 40 for the center.
I then painted those 5, plus the other eleven 5 x 24 I stretched earlier.
So, it's been a long day.
Needless to say, I am tired and now typing what I hope is not gibberish.
I really enjoy my artist life here at the Raccoon Retreat studio!
Good night!

Days 25-29 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2023
Varying sizes




No comments:

Post a Comment