Thursday, August 3, 2023

Two days~four paintings




  As per usual, life gets in the way here at the Raccoon Retreat studio in beautiful Fairhope, Alabama!
VBS was all consuming during Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Wednesday we broke down VBS and I happily sent the majority of it 
to an elementary school instead of a landfill.
My studio time is frequently interrupted by the goings on at the house.
Today was no exception.
Today Chris and I went to the dermatologist for an appointment 
made by the urgent care doctor on Monday.
Why the rush visit?
We just arrived home form a three week mission in Zimbabwe, Africa on Thursday last week.
I came home with a cold and sinus infection.
Chris came home with an apparent spider bite that was initially treated in Victoria Falls 
just as we were leaving the country.
Neither of us wanted this kind of souvenir!
However, Chris's hand swelled over the weekend and I was concerned.
Monday morning the the urgent care doctor became concerned as well.
So, to the dermatologist we went today.
Now the good news.
The care and treatment we've been giving since early this week has been working.
We still have not gotten results back from the culture, but Chris seems to be on the mend!
Now I can focus back on creating in the studio again.
In the meantime, Chris has been given permission to go play in the shop.
(I had banished him because I was concerned about the wound getting more infected.
At one point, I though he might lose the finger it was so infected and swollen.)
God is so good!
He is happily working in the shop, I am back in the studio!
The two turtles were painted yesterday.


Today's work in the art realm.


I always enjoy painting lionfish.
More people are collecting the paintings, as they are a beautiful fish.
I am still alarmed at the invasiveness of these creatures.
For all their beauty, they are deadly to a lot of the smaller big game babies, so they are becoming a problem to the future of fishing in the Gulf of Mexico and elsewhere.
We are their only real predator, as they have no known enemies in the fish world.
I still want to eat one, as I have heard they are a delicate whitefish.
I am patient and will keep trying to find one on the menu somewhere.
As I said, I am patient.

After all, I waited for 4 years to be able to eat crocodile in Zimbabwe while there.
It was delicious, and I will eat it again if offered.
Mopani worms, not so much....
It's a big deal to eat a mopani worm while in Zimbabwe.
While I did not eat one at the restaurant, I did eat one at the home of one of my African friends.
One is enough for me!

Back to the studio, back to the paint!
Chris is back to the shop, happily creating wood frames for a new series of shadowboxes.
The last set of shadowboxes he built numbered 32.
I have painted, sold, or have in galleries all but two.
They will be painted soon, I'm sure!
I also have orders for two 16 x 16 shadowboxes that are already sold.
Such is a day in the life here at the Raccoon Retreat studio!

Turtles 1 & 2, and Lionfish 1& 2, Acrylic on wood panel, 12" round 
Days 3,4,5,&6 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2023



 

No comments:

Post a Comment