Thursday, August 10, 2023

Three for Four


Today's paintings represent two days.
I spent the majority of the day cleaning up the mess that is my studio presently.
I cannot walk by, without something slithering to the floor.
I have thousands of reference photos that I use.
Some of them are photos I took, some are friend's photos that they graciously let me use,
others are from the internet and are changed a lot before they leave my studio.
I "Frankenstein" a lot of my paintings, using my knowledge of animal anatomy to manipulate several photos into one that I can then paint.
These guys are a little of both.
The upper one was almost completed at artwalk in June.
It was then brought to the studio for completion, wiring, and varnishing.
The one below was completed in my studio yesterday.
They are each large examples of these beautiful birds that grace our coasts.
"Great Blue I" and "Great Blue II"
Each measures 16 x 40 inches and will be at Hello Gallery in downtown Fairhope.
I may add the large round herons as well just for fun!
They will make a gorgeous grouping together for sure!


The last of the six rounds from my studio has a lined seahorse.
These guys are incredibly fun to paint.
Lined seahorse is on a 24-inch round wood panel.
I am really enjoying the colorful creations in my studio these days.
I keep dreaming of the booth at the National Shrimp Festival this year, with it starting with sepias on one side gradually shifting to partial color, then full color paintings on the other side.
It's going to be fun to create, then hang at the show.
I will have to be careful to have back stock to fill in during the show, so the booth stays full.
A lot of my artist friends are nervous about the upcoming show season, 
I am remaining optimistic that the pieces will sell.
God continues to bless me in my artistic endeavors. giving me the images to paint.
Even if paintings don't sell at shows, there are two galleries that want the pieces that don't sell.
Big Fish Trading Company in Foley, as well as my local hang out, "Hello Gallery" at 18 South Section Street in downtown Fairhope.

Oh! and there's the one woman show at the Pascagoula River Audubon Center.
The show will feature my Steampunk & Marine pieces, Steampunk style tables and my son Jere's lamps, as well as some of Christopher's woodturning.
It will hang for December and January.
There will be multiple prints of the steampunk available for purchase as Christmas presents.
Ornaments are coming too!
Both steampunk and marine ornaments will be available.
I am so delighted to have been invited back for the third year in a row!
It's always fun to be there, the people that run the Center are so kind and supportive.
Mark your calendars, December 9th, 2023, is the official opening reception.
Steampunk and the Sea!

So, things are humming along here at the Raccoon Retreat studio in beautiful Fairhope, Alabama.
I am joyous to be on this journey with those who follow the blog!
I am blessed indeed!

Great blue heron I, Great blue heron II, Lined seahorse Acrylic on canvas and wood panel
Days 15, 16, and 17 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2023


 

No comments:

Post a Comment