Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Fighting conch



Tonight's post is a Fighting Conch.
So called because they apparently fight for their lives! They are actually algae eaters! They are eaten themselves by quite a few other creatures, including crabs, larger conchs, spotted rays, and the occasional octopus. 

Like most everyone else, we are celebrating Christmas. We spent the day with two of our children, and their spouses. We started with our breakfast of Waffle house, leaving tips for the entire restaurant. I guess we've brought up children that appreciate wait staff, as they left tips that were nice Christmas presents. I am proud of what they have become as adults and what they do for others. We also cooked a rather large meal that none of us could really eat because there was so much. We have brought food home, hoping the dog sitters will enjoy lovely amounts of leftovers. Too many sweets, too much food, lots of wonderful company! Plans next year for a cooking day involving gingerbread houses, cookies and probably a meal too! We do enjoy working together in the kitchen! 




I can finally show off the kai honu for a new collector! This beauty was photographed in Hawaii while on vacation. The husband contacted me and asked me to paint it for his wife as a surprise Christmas present. I think we actually pulled it off! So exciting to know his anticipation at her opening her thoughtful gift! I hope they enjoy her for many years to come!
Kai Honu, Acrylic on canvas, 30 x 40

We also came home this evening and put all the show equipment in the back of the truck. The new truck cover has a brand new lock and we will both feel better about the tents being protected. First we pulled out everything, then we carefully put both tents, sides, weights, table, decorations, show box, show sales desk, chairs, and both carts in case we have to load in the hard way!
Once we got everything in, we moved the truck out and I went on the deck to get our large market umbrella, as we use it at our kitchen when we're in the Gypsy Gal. I brought it out the gate, leaned it against the wagon and helped Chris for a moment. I then went back to the umbrella to put it in the wagon. 

That's when I got stung.....
Dusk was falling and I could not see what got me, but boy did it hurt, burn, and sear!
I brushed away what I thought it was, but did not know for sure. I was just hoping it was not a spider!
I went inside, got one of my wrist braces and put an ice pack in it to stop the pain after I washed it in cold, cold water. Time to push on, I helped Chris to back up the truck and when he had a problem with the hitch, I turned my attention back to the umbrella. I kicked it and that's when the wasp crawled out and onto the umbrella. Needless to say, it did not survive long after that! Then I became concerned that there might be more, so I opened each fold on the outside, finding several stink bugs and lady bugs. No more wasps, thankfully. Carefully checking the inside of the umbrella, I removed more lady bugs then tied it up and put it into the back of the truck.

Good thing I'm not allergic to wasps...........
Made two more covers for the panels we are carrying to Florida. I love the new covers!
Laundry, packing, and decisions about show clothes!
Tired, satisfied, and almost ready to start our next adventure!
Another day in the life of this artist in Fairhope , Alabama

Fighting Conch, Acrylic on canvas, 6 x 6
Day 19 of the 100 days~100 paintings Spring 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment