Sunday, December 9, 2018

Florida cone shell


Florida Cone Shell
I have a deep respect for cone shells. While living in the Philippines, my parents went scuba diving quite frequently. I myself loved to comb the beach for shells. One of the first things I learned at the tender age of 6 was not to pick up one of the cones. I was to give them a wide berth, and tell a villager, adult, or parent that I had found one. I was walking one day and my parents were between dives, so they were on the beach. I was beach combing as usual and while I did not find a cone shell, one of the village children did. She was immediately stung and the toxins quickly did their work. 
My father tried desperately to save her, to no avail. 
Both my parents hugged me a little harder that night, knowing this girl was close to me in age.
I was no longer allowed to beach comb alone, but still gave cone shells a wide berth, thinking they could shoot me from a distance.

Imagine my surprise then to find we have cone shells here in the United States! 
Also imagine my shock to find out that ALL cone shells are poisonous !
There are several varieties, both on the Florida and California coasts. This one of course is a Florida Cone. While not as poisonous as their Pacific cousins, from what I have read they too can cause significant damage if you are stung by one. These are found along the Sanibel island area, near where we will be showing in January.

Florida Cone Shell, Acrylic on canvas, 6 x 6inches
Day 4 of the 100 days~100 paintings Spring 2019

1 comment:

  1. ...and that my friends is your lesson today on Cone shells. I had no clue about the dangers of this shell! Beauty at a price...

    ReplyDelete