Saturday, December 29, 2018

My slippery friend II


Oh what a day! 
Our day started very early because we had not even begun hanging artwork in the tent the day before. We left at 6:30 am and it was not even daylight yet. Compounding the darkness was a heavy fog this morning in the form of a misting rain. This made for a very damp tent, and windshield wipers working overtime on the truck. After we arrived and unloaded artwork, I realized we had forgotten our lunch that we so carefully packed. I started hanging artwork and Chris headed back to the wagon to pick up our lunch. Lunches at the shows are typically not healthy and expensive.  By the time he got back I had managed to hang the 3 most difficult large pieces. After some thinking, we decided to put one of the big pieces on the back wall that formed our 'back door'. Another hour and we got the entire tent hung with artwork.

We then begin the waiting game. 
Waiting for people to show.
Waiting  for buyers to appear.
Waiting for the first sale of the day.
Turns out our wait was longer than most. 
I watched the photographer across the way have one sale, then another, and even more.
I began to pray, to not be jealous of the neighbors all around having sales.
I began to pray to make expenses.
I continued to pray for God to send a benefactor for me.
I'm not greedy, I am truly happy to make expenses at these shows. I know that I have been to shows where other artists have not made expenses. 
I painted octopus while chatting with customers. 
The afternoon passed slowly, painfully slowly. 
I made every effort to be pleasant, keeping a smile on my face and greeting everyone that came in to the booth. At 4 o'clock I went in the back, packing up the  bags and doing general cleaning. 
At 4:45 the couple showed up with intentions of purchasing one piece. 
They ended up buying 3!
Thank you Lord! 
Not a complete bust for today!
Whew!

My slippery friend II, Acrylic on canvas, 6 x 6
Day 23 of the 100 days~100 paintings Spring 2019

2 comments: