Sunday, August 26, 2012

Shorebird



     I have a favorite painting that I did years ago when I first began that featured 6 sandpipers and beautiful pale water. I carted this painting around for the better part of three years before the right buyer came along. The story goes like this...................

     Most painters paint in uneven numbers, 1, 3, 5, etc. For some reason, I wanted to have 6 birds in this particular painting. It has 5 birds going in one direction and one towards the others. I love the painting and it is still one of my best selling prints, called "Sand, Surf, & Sandpipers" From the beginning, my husband wanted me to paint out one of the birds, and kept telling me on a regular basis that was why the painting did not sell. Featured at the National Shrimp Festival, the painting caught the eye of a woman that was married to a much older man. She loved the story about the painting, looked at me and said I want you to tell your husband something for me. I am going to buy this painting and the reason is my husband tells me stories about his children chasing the sandpipers along the beach. The main attraction to me is the 6 sandpipers. Why you ask? My husband has 6 children and it will mean the world to him! She not only bought that one, but another as well . So stick to your guns artists! Don't always follow the rules and stay in the box!

     Back to this little guy! Painted much larger than life, this bird is so much fun to paint! I am so excited to bring a painting a day to the Eastern Shore and will be teaching the discipline this fall at the Eastern Shore Art Center. I am really looking forward to it! Painted with a limited palette, color decisions are easier and quicker to make. The limited palette makes your paintings more cohesive as well, because they are simple to make similar if you are making a series such as these birds. The limited palette is also non~fugitive, meaning your paintings will never change!

Shorebird~12 x 24~Acrylic on canvas

No comments:

Post a Comment