Monday, August 20, 2012

Smooth Swimmer



     The phone scared me out of my painting zen one day last week. I was in the zone, carefully applying the finishing touches on a piece for the 100 days series. When it rang, I nearly fell out of the chair because the noise scared me. "I need more Turtles!" the voice said on the other end of the line.    It was Helen from Fairhope Connections gallery calling to tell me of sales in the Fairhope and Orange Beach Galleries on the same day. Joe at the Orange Beach Store had sold 2 pieces and was now out of turtles. Helen took him all of my smaller turtle pieces leaving her with none on hand. She had sold 3 paintings herself as well ( 2 of turtles and a crab painting).Hence the need for more turtles. It took a moment for it to sink in, 5 in one day? I stammered in disbelief, wait what do you need? I was still having trouble processing what she was saying. My right brain was also having trouble letting go, so the left brain could speak! "Turtles" came the reply, I'm out of the small ones. Okay, why? She explained again that both galleries did very well that day. Finally it sank in. Odd how those things happen at the same time. At least 3 people had bought 5 paintings!

      I am still sitting here,  wondering about the turns my life has taken since I started the painting a day series. This is my third year of doing them, as well as the third year of the sepia series. The sepias are still doing well, most of the time selected by men who love the linear quality. I am grateful to God for the talent he has given me, and that I can bless others with my works. The church has been the biggest recepient of my given talents so far. I also donate to charities when I can.

Smooth Swimmer~Loggerhead Turtle 12 x 12 Acrylic on Canvas

No comments:

Post a Comment