Sunday, September 16, 2018

Blue crab colored III

The day began with us walking around the block to see more of Delhi. I am amazed by the amount of people here in this city. Unfortunately some of them live on the streets and it's usually by choice.

Delhi is a vibrant, active, and wealthy city when compared to the outer villages. The people from the outer lying areas, come to the city in an effort to improve their lives. Some of them find work and are able to support themselves and some of their families needs. A lot of them just sit and wait in the heat, hoping to find temporary jobs. Those lucky enough to find work cannot afford housing and food,  so food wins. This means they find themselves in makeshift shelters, cobbled together with tarps, bricks, pieces of wood, and ropes to hold everything somewhat together. This also means street children tapping on your windows of the car,  hoping to sell you some trinket or maybe getting some money. It is hard for me not to empty my wallet in an effort to help them. I wonder if they get to keep the money they manage to scrounge up, or is it taken from them as quickly as it is procured. I also am concerned about the exploitation of the children, child trafficking is a problem here. I once saw a young girl,  maybe 8 or 9 seemingly in charge of her 3 younger siblings.

Do these children go to school at all?

Possibly a mission trip?
Distributing tarps and things they could use, or would it be sold to get money?
Questions for prayer time......

Meanwhile I paint, trying to get the images of dirty, seemingly helpless, homeless street children out of my head.

Blue crab colored III, Acrylic on canvas, 12 x12
Day 77 of the 100 days-100 paintings 2018
The photo is the home we are so grateful to stay in while we are here.

2 comments:

  1. The house is beautiful.
    I don't know the story of how your daughter ended up in India. If you don't mind me asking, how do they survive? Employment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The house is beautiful.
    I don't know the story of how your daughter ended up in India. If you don't mind me asking, how do they survive? Employment?

    ReplyDelete