Tuesday, August 21, 2018

African Elephant


I have for years painted marine life with quite a bit of success.
Today however, I was inspired to create something different.

I read an another article about the poaching and killing of elephants in Africa and 
as usual it saddened me greatly.
There are many animals being exploited for their holistic properties, their hides, or purely as a trophy for a hunter. How the random killing of animals has become so easily watched or read about baffles my sensitivity. 

Our society has become numb to the mistreatment of animals. Abandonment, outright cruelty, and just plain not taking care has become the new normal.
However there are a few of us that speak up, stand up, and help when they can.
The sad thing is, it is not only animals that have become the forgotten in our society and on the whole, our world.

After watching the movie, Machine Gun Preacher, (the Sam Childers story) I realized that one person can make a difference. While I do not condone the actions of this sinner turned preacher then mercenary, I understand his why. The children were being exploited, horrifically mistreated, and turned into soldiers against their will. He built an orphanage for these children. 
In his own way while fighting his own demons, he became a saving grace.
He also shows that one person can make a difference.

I have a couple of people in my circle that are doing the same thing. 
One person making a difference is the 
director of Buy a Brick, Gib Leonard
This is from his website buyabrickfoundation.org


In June 2004, I  traveled to Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe on a mission trip with a few members of our church, Providence in McLean, Va.  I personally was touched by the love of the people, the friendly happy hearts that each one seemed to have towards life. As I looked around, I continued to see more and more people with this wonderful attitude, though living in poverty, with high unemployment, school buildings that were falling down, schools that needed to be built, teachers that slept in the closets at the schools. There was a serious tugging on my heart to do something about this...but what? The need was so great; a whole lot larger than our church could handle, so, The Buy a Brick Foundation was born,  a Non-Profit that raises funds and then goes and builds at the most needed villages in Zimbabwe. Fourteen years later, I would never have been able to comprehend that we would have built or rehabbed 14 school block buildings in seven villages, built a Clinic called The Leonah Clinic named after a young girl, Leonah Sibanda, who was attacked by a buffalo 2000 yards from the school. We have been building in the area's of  Victoria Falls and Hwange District.  Honestly, I thought Africa would be a cool place to take in a little adventure, a safari, take in the awesome sites, and in the process, do a few good deeds along the way. I had no idea that my life would change dramatically as a result of my first two weeks in Zimbabwe in 2004. The people of Zimbabwe touched my heart and have become a major part of my life ever since I first stepped on their soil.

I invite you to go to the site and see what amazing things the God is doing through the foundation.
I am one person trying to make a difference in our world.
The proceeds from the sale of this painting will go to buy a brick, to feed the children that may only get one meal a day at the school.

African Elephant, Acrylic on canvas 12 x 24
Day 51 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2018



2 comments: