Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Octopus in the darkness

While octopus love to hide in dark secluded areas, I don't have a fondness for the dark. I get injured in the dark, running into things that have placed themselves in my way. I've also miscounted steps going down from my studio in the dark. Fortunately,  I had a firm grasp on the rail and caught myself, only twisting a finger instead of my neck.

I was in the studio this afternoon when this very noisy thunderstorm came through from the North. The closer the storm line came, the more the lightning increased. This scared both me and the dachshunds. Even our partially deaf one was trembling as she could feel the vibrations from the too many, way too close lightning strikes popping all around us. One particularly close strike and the power flickered. The next really close one, (you know the one where you almost feel the snap, see the flash, and jump out of your skin thunderclap simultaneously.)That one apparently took out a transformer, so then went the power. I now had no lights in the studio and darkness is approaching with a vengeance.

I also had an unfinished octopus to paint. Undaunted , I brought out the light switches from our booth set up and finished the painting. The life of an artist is an exciting one indeed!

Octopus in the dark, Acrylic on canvas 8x8
Day 44 of the 100 days 100 paintings 2018

1 comment: