Sunday, August 26, 2018

Sand dollar mini


I've never been lucky enough to find a sand dollar larger than about an
 inch in size here on the Gulf Coast.
Like many of you, I've found pieces of the much larger shells, 
usually so battered and broken as to be hard to tell if they are really sand dollars.
Usually in the Spring, May to be exact, I'll find several of them on our pre-dawn walks for sea turtle nests. Chris and I did find a rather large one off the coast of Florida. At first, I thought it was a piece of Oil sludge from the spill off the Louisiana coast. Turns out it was a large live sand dollar. The best part of all was that it was the most beautiful shade of purple I've ever seen!


 As you can see it was about 5 inches across!
We carefully returned it to the sea.
Wonderful memories of Coya Costa off the island of Sanibel, Florida.

Sand Dollar Mini, Acrylic on canvas 4x4
Day 56 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2018

2 comments:

  1. Yes, many broken pieces but never a live, purple one! Another of God’s many wonders...

    ReplyDelete