Friday, August 24, 2018

Great Atlantic Cockle


Great Atlantic Cockle shell. More commonly found off the coasts of Florida than our Alabama Coast.
Interesting things about Cockles.
Most are edible.
The larger ones can "jump" by throwing their foot out of the shell.
When viewed from the side, they look like a heart!
Also very pretty.

Today was another long day!
I started out determined to get the booth done today.......
First, I had to put hangers and wire on several artworks. Then I started lugging down the artworks from the studio. Several trips up and down the stairs holding multiple pieces, while praying I didn't have a dachshund get in the way! I then took the covers outside to the shop and Chris helped me to get them on the panels. We then dug out the tent and set it up under the pecan tree, thinking it would be cooler. (An aside note, nothing is cooler during the month of August in the deep South!)
We then tried to attach the panels using the strap system. I came up with them after a lot of thought, but I have had to adjust all 22 of them twice already! We then realized every strap had to be removed and turned over in order to work the way I intended. Out came the tarp, and we flipped them all in the correct direction (which involved a screwdriver). Once done with that, we put the panels in place, and then the booth became a cohesive work of art in itself. 
I then realized the panels not going to the ground were going to be a problem, so I temporarily tucked in scraps of the fabric used to make the covers. I will have another project adding velcro to each one of the covers, with a "skirt" at the bottom. This will solve two problems, the covers will be closed on to the frames, and the bottom of the panels will be covered so nothing is visible to the sides or back of the booth.
Keep in mind I was doing this under the watchful eyes of the pack of 5 dachshunds we have here at the house. For some reason they wanted to be really close today. I even had to physically remove one of them, and she promptly laid down on the pieces of fabric I was using!

I then had to work on the layout of the limited artwork I have here at the house.
I took my time putting pieces up and was pleased with the result.
I ate my sandwich while studying the result.
I remembered a show that requires it to be a blind jury, no names anywhere.
My signature is kind of hard to miss on a white background.
I got out my white Artists tape and covered each signature.
I photographed it and then put it on a facebook page of other artists
that offer their opinion about the result. 
The advice is, photograph, post, leave the booth up and adjust.
I posted, and got an immediate response, the black straps were distracting, 
make the showpiece of sea turtles stand alone on the back wall. 
Move turtles down about 6 inches. 
(have they not seen that it is 5 canvases, you can't just shift that easily.)
Black straps? 
The straps that have been a headache from the get go?
I have to admit, it seems like a small thing, but I covered them temporarily with white duct tape.
It already looked better.
Sigh..............
I then moved the artwork as suggested.
By then, the booth had sunlight streaming in and I had to wait to photograph again.
Fortunately, I have a husband that is willing to help with a tarp and pole!
We also dug out lights? 
In the daytime?
The lights helped.
I am so tired right now.
If you've read this far, here's the best husband in the world!


Oh, and that PANEL BOOTH SHOT!

I am very happy with the result, although there is still work ahead to do!
The artwork really does show up better!

Day 54 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2018
Great Atlantic Cockle, Acrylic on canvas, 6x6

2 comments:

  1. Your determination is evident. Work ethic intense. Agree, your husband is a great helper! Beautiful Cockle also. Your shows will be sell outs!

    ReplyDelete