Friday, August 3, 2018

Seahorse duo II


I painted these guys as the Big Fish Trading company wants another 
for a pair of seahorses for sale. I took 11 new pieces to them on Wednesday of this week. 
It is always a great trip when we go. 
Amy and Jason approached me at the Shrimp Festival in 2016, telling me that my art would go great with their furniture. I didn't really blow them off, but it did take 7 months to get artworks to them! The moment I walked into their store, I was blown away by the beauty of their furniture. 
It is all hand built, with a beautiful coastal flair to their finishes.
They have sold several of my pieces and are always eager to have more!
They have actually sold one of Christopher's bowls as well.

This is a short snouted seahorse. 
They are typically found on rocks in water up to 250 ft deep!
They have a restricted range because of limited daily movement.
Most movement occurs when they attach themselves to debris during a storm.
Their habitat is from Scotland to the Netherlands and south to Senegal and the Mediterranean sea. They are also found near the coasts of the Azores, Madeira and the Canary Islands.

Typically measuring about 6 inches, the male are the ones that birth the babies. The babies are born after 21 days and can range in number from 50 to 100 depending on the age of the male.

They are very faithful to their mates as well.
The greeting ritual takes place daily and can last up to 8 minutes. 
Makes me want to spend more time with Chris!

Seahorse Duo II, Acrylic on shadowbox canvas
Day 33 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment