Saturday, August 4, 2018

Pelican rookery


This is a photo I took several years ago on our first trip down to the keys.
She was in a small zoo area near the Manatees in Homosassa  Springs.
 I couldn't get over the beauty of this mama pelican sitting on a nest.
Her nest was carefully constructed of limbs intertwined in a mess, and yet here she was sitting on it! She apparently was a pelican that could not fly, hence the messed up feathers towards her rear.
What is so funny now is that I know they don't sit, they literally stand on their eggs. They use those huge webbed feet to cover the eggs with their warmth. 
I loved they way she blended into the browns of the sticks and branches. 

What I did not realize was that was going to be more difficult in sepia.
I literally spent almost as much time on the branches as I did the entire bird!
I really want to photograph them when they are nesting on the island. 
I could use the new reference photos.
Boat trip anyone?

Pelican Rookery, 12 x 24 shadowbox ,Acrylic
Day 34 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2018 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, very interesting about the eggs. I never knew that either! Beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are just a whirlwind of information.

    ReplyDelete