Friday, August 10, 2018

Another Octopus


Boy this photo is really wonky!
Late night folks!
As requested, an octopus after a long day.

I am trying to get into a particular show in Florida in January. 
You never know how much a spouse supports you until those 
times when frustration hits you as an artist. 

This show almost requires me to have a professional panel system to display. 
I have been using my beautiful Flourish mesh for years now, and I LOVE it! 
I have recommended it several times, with other artists taking down the phone number to call the company. Needless to say, I am stubborn when it comes to change. I mean why change, it's always worked. These sides have been with me since the beginning and have stood the test of time, dirt, storms and transportation. 

Anyway, to the panels.
This show I want to get into is difficult at best to crack. Apparently my artwork passes muster, but the display is Meh. There are times in an artists life they must step back and see what others are seeing. The first complaint was that there was too much art, and I needed to display less. So, we set up the booth, and the sides (with a lot of Chris's help!), put less art into the tent and took the photo. The photo was okay, but my tent sides were wrinkled from being in storage. I submitted the photo to the show only to get another we need you to clean up your act. (basically) Well I also submitted it to a page on facebook for jury analysis. I received the same critique, the tent walls look sloppy because of wrinkles. The booth shot is not showing correctly, (photograph on a cloudy day? Who knew?) The last suggestion was to get professional panels. Again, the stubborn kicked in and then my wallet! Even used these panels are high and the only ones being sold are out west or way up North. 

Enter the mister. (Chris that is)
He seemed to think we didn't need them until I sat him down and explained the why. I then exclaimed about the price. "Why don't we build some?" This man is magical when it comes to wood. I am so lucky God put him into my life, as a partner, a spouse, fellow artist, and woodworker. We went to two different hardware stores to get wood and wire. We then went to our big box store to get a blanket(?!).
Chris would build, I would sew the covers from the blanket. He got started and came in the next morning telling me, it was a no go because the wood was splitting. "I have decided to buy you panels because this is too much to do" I wilted, this man of mine never gives up on anything, never lets it defeat him. I asked, what is the problem? He said the wood is splitting. I asked if he could pre-drill the holes. He shook his head and went to searching on the computer for panels. I left to teach a class that morning, resolute that he would find a solution. When I came home, he said come outside and see what I've come up with. I was delighted to see the wood frame with wire inside and no splitting!
"I figured it out." I gleefully went inside and stitched together a sleeve for the panel.
When we both saw the finished product and hung the artwork, we were both pleasantly surprised!
My work against the gray is gorgeous!
More on this saga later!

Another Octopus, 16 x 16 , acrylic on custom built shadowbox canvas
Day 40 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2018

1 comment:

  1. There’s always a way as long as the “will” is there...Very glad to hear his persistence paid off!

    ReplyDelete