Friday, July 9, 2021

Confident turtle


I don't know why, but this little guy looks confident!
Hence the name confident turtle.
Our sea turtles are not very confident of late.
Turtle nesting season is in full swing and we should have several nests in the Orange beach area.
As far as I know, we have one.
One!
A few years back we had three on the same day bringing our total to 18 I think.
It seems to be an off year for nests.
They may not like the lights on the beaches or condos, 
the people hanging out at night, or the beach chairs left after the teams patrol at night.
Our beaches are definitely cleaner now, with less things being left at night because they know it will get picked up by the patrols.
Help our turtles by turning off lights, not running the beaches at night, 
and removing your items until the next day.
While I am on my soap box.......
Please fill in your holes!
I've never seen such caverns left in the sand overnight.
I have been the victim of the quicksand caused by these holes as well.
You see when you don't fill it back in, the ocean fills it for you.
Problem is, what is formed by this filling in is almost like quicksand. 
I have been walking along on the beach and suddenly been up to my hips in the quagmire.
Please fill your holes!
The large amounts of fun digging is not worth a momma turtle 
breaking her neck while coming ashore to nest.
She's waited 20-30 years to become a momma and a hole either traps her or kills her.
Please fill your holes!
I'm off my box now.
But,
Please fill your holes!

Confident turtle, Acrylic on poured background, 4x12inches
Day 11 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2021



 

No comments:

Post a Comment