Friday, July 7, 2017

Playtime!


We took an amazing dolphin cruise a few years back down at Orange Beach. It was a delightful time for all on board, as the dolphins were particularly happy that day. They put on quite the ballet show, leaping and jumping in the wake of the boat. How do I know they were happy? They had this beautiful pink glow on their bellies! Such a pretty pink! I got an incredible amount of beautiful photographs, perfect for references and lots of paintings. I work from photographs a lot, it's hard to get any sea creature to sit still for a portrait! 

This shadowbox is one of 2 12 x 36 that I purchased and I wish I had gotten my hands on more! It's such a lovely size and the opening works well with the outside edge. I've painted this as a reference and mock up for a much larger piece in the works. 
That painting will be on three canvases measuring an incredible 9 1/2 feet total. I am actually looking forward to the challenge of painting such a large piece in a smallish studio. (My main studio is 12 x 16 ft of pure heaven!) I am creating it as a possible piece for a collector with a very large space above her double doorways going into her incredible screened porch. 
The total space is 3 ft by 15 ft. 
I only hope the  painting will be big enough! It is on 3 canvases, 2 at 24 x 36 , and one at 30 x 40
A caveat though, I could add 2 more 18 x 24's canvas and fill the space more!
We'll see what this new adventure brings!
Tonight is artwalk in Fairhope as well from 6 until 8pm. Weather permitting, I'll be outside painting at the gallery. 18 South Section Street. Hopefully I'll see some of my readers there tonight!

"Playtime!" 12 x 36 Shadowbox canvas, Acrylic , 
Day 5 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2017


1 comment: