Saturday, July 7, 2018

Cephalopod II


Yet another?  
I'm sure you're thinking, too many octopus!
Yes another one!

This spring we went to Melbourne Florida for our first long trip to do a show. God was definitely with us on that trip! Chris and I had loads of fun, camped within WALKING distance of the first show, and after holding my breath on Saturday, success! You see, it was my first time to present my work this far into Florida and I was really nervous. I had also volunteered to teach a workshop for kids during the show on Sunday. Saturday was beautiful and clear, with lots of people coming into the booth exclaiming I've never seen anything like this! While that felt really good, there were no sales at all. I proceeded to pray for my peace of mind if there were no sales. I told God you always take care of me, so I'm not worried. (in my heart I held a secret, though not to God, I really wanted to cry!) I am learning more and more to turn over everything to him and not enter the rocking chair of worry! 
(I know I'll never get anywhere!)

Later that afternoon a couple and their daughters came back and were looking at my large octopus piece that they admired earlier in the day. The mom came and told me they were going home to think about it and I said that is understandable as it was one of my most expensive pieces. Just as she was leaving, another couple came in exclaiming, "Look at that Octopus!" She looked at me and after a quick discussion with her husband came in and produced her card to purchase the piece. After handling the sale, I told them they were the first sale of the day. They were both shocked. I thanked them profusely and went on with the rest of the day with NO more sales. 
Sunday dawned as another beautiful day in paradise. We both did not anticipate many sales that day, but counted our blessings because yesterdays one sale just about paid for the first half of the trip. 
That day with God's help we DOUBLED our sales from the previous day. It was an all day sales day, with Chris handling by himself a large sale while I was teaching the children's workshop. Our entire trip for the twelve days was paid for and I could relax as far as money was concerned. 
However, it left me with some HUGE holes in my inventory. 
We had sold every last Octopus I had in stock!
And almost every turtle!

The next week found me scrambling to find canvases to paint that were smaller and as such, faster. Days spent at the campground when we were not being tourists, painting. 
I painted 8 little octopus, 8 tiny shrimp, and 3 12 x 12 turtles as we were almost out of turtles too!
Lo and behold, the little canvases were a BIG hit, with us selling out of octopus and shrimp. In fact, everything I had painted that week found homes on Amelia Island, Florida. Both shows were wonderful, we had a great time, and hopefully we'll go again! (they were both juried shows, and there is no guarantee of acceptance even if you have done the show for years!) I myself have been wait listed for our local National Shrimp Festival in Gulf Shores once. 
(I gratefully accepted a spot the next day when they called too!)

Anyway, stories aside, yes ANOTHER octopus. I absolutely LOVE painting them because of their fluidity and movement. I PRAY you don't get tired of seeing them both large and small 
dear followers!

Cephalopod II, Acrylic on canvas 12in tall x 4in wide.
Day 6 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2018
Retail $45

No comments:

Post a Comment