Friday, July 6, 2018

Octopus found!


"Octopus found!"
If you have read the blog in previous years, you may have read about Oscar the Octopus.
In the mid 1960's we lived in the Philippines for at least a year. I was in first grade when we arrived at Christmas time. I got a toy box chock full of Matchbox cars and other toys. Somewhere there is a photo of me sitting in the toy box, unwrapping presents as my parents watched. You see, at that time, matchbox cars came in  a BOX! Small little boxes, and each car was different. My parents wrapped each car separately ! Lots of tape and wrapping paper. I sadly don't have the cars any more, but I did repaint the circus theme on the toy box with a barnyard theme when we had our first baby. I still have the toy box that is now over 50 years old.

Back to the octopus..........
My parents were divers and they would bring home shells and occasionally fish to put in our saltwater tank. I loved the clowns we had and one day, my dad brought home a tiny little octopus that was slightly bigger than my 6 year old hand. We put the octopus into a 5 gallon bottle that water came in and added water from our tank to help it adjust. He also added a water bubbler to the water for oxygen overnight. I looked into the hole, fascinated with the creature swimming below in the bottom. I already was in absolute love with him! I announced to my parents that I was naming him Oscar. I reluctantly went to bed, imagining the beautiful arms swimming all around the tank. 
First thing in the morning, I ran into the room and found him on the floor, outside of the bottle we had placed him in. He was a dried up bit of death to my young eyes and I took it hard. "Mommy why can't we just put him back in the water and let him swim?" Mom explained that he was gone and no longer alive. I was not a happy camper and my parents learned a hard lesson about octopus and their escape antics. My dad never brought home another one! A caveat though, Oscar is immortalized in our bathroom tile  at the end of our tub. I carefully pieced together a beautiful memorial to the octopus lost so many years ago.

"Octopus Found!" 12x4, Acrylic on canvas
Day 5 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2018

1 comment: