Friday, July 20, 2018

Startled


I can only imagine what a turtle thinks when he sees a diver underwater.
Although there a viral video of a diver actually being harassed by a sea turtle wanting ahem,
apparently a  little amore. It is rather fun to watch, because the diver is clearly surprised, then carefully pushing it away, then getting annoyed just a bit. 

I have been surprised by a turtle myself twice while paddle boarding in the bay. 
The first time, I was quietly enjoying my morning paddle the morning of the National Shrimp festival set up a couple years back. The sun was just coming over the trees and everything had that beautiful sunlight washing everything in it's path. I was  headed toward the pier and admiring the light, when a head popped up out of the water. The light coloring on the neck was all aglow and I got eye contact. Then, just as soon as it appeared, it disappeared under the surface. I thanked God for the encounter with one of his beautiful creations and continued my morning. 
The second time was really startling to me. I was about 20 minutes into my  paddle adventure. I had come out early in the morning to get a head start on my day. I had paddled under the pier, around the end, and was headed to the end of the beach where the duck pond is located. I changed sides and was about to dip when the juvenile turtle came up right next to my board, took a breath and slipped beneath the surface. I was absolutely elated that I had the opportunity 
to see this beautiful creature up close. 

We all have had these close encounters, 
the bird flying toward your car so suddenly you duck because you think he's about to enter the car and do a fly by! A turtle crossing the road, that you help along on his journey. The red tailed hawk crashing into a tree after a squirrel. Human encounters that take your breath away, like the woman that admires your dachshund shirt and you end up having a delightful conversation about her fur babies long since passed. She was in a wheelchair, and was shocked I took the time to squat down, talk and listen to hear in the middle of Target. I get the human encounters frequently as I talk with people while they are painting and I learn a lot!

Our opportunities are everywhere, we only have to open our eyes and ears to the messages God is trying to send us, to talk with that person, listen to the child, to help someone load their groceries into their car, to pay for someones groceries when the father is 
frantically looking for his wallet left at home. 

I love it when God uses me!

Startled, 24 x 24 Acrylic on canvas
Day 19 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2018
Retail $325

1 comment: