Saturday, July 21, 2018

King of the food chain


The American Alligator is a beast that can grow up to 11 feet!
 I cannot imagine coming upon a gator that large. 
The one they call Chuckie at the Gulf Coast zoo actually escaped 
for a time after hurricane Ivan. 
I've photographed him and he is huge!
Alligators can reach 1,00 pounds as well. 
They love to congregate but cannot regulate their own temperature. They must bask in
the sun to warm up, or go in the water to cool down.  Speaking of water, they can travel 
up to 20 mph while swimming, but only 11mph on land. I once worked with a guy that said they got taught how to outrun a gator by zigzagging. 

The females lay 10 to 50 eggs and stay nearby to protect them. When it comes near the time for hatching, the female will uncove the nest to make it easier for the babies. 
They come out at about 6 to 8 inches and are full on eating machines.

I have eaten alligator as well and if cooked correctly they can be a harvested meat. I've had it done well, and also eaten it tough to chew. The first time I had it was in Louisiana and I have not had any to compare since then.

King of the food chain, 24 x 24 shadowbox canvas, Acrylic
Day 20 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2018   

1 comment: