Saturday, July 14, 2018

The Dolphins playtime


I slept in a little later than I have been (7 am) I have been getting up at 530 to be able to drive to Mobile and teach all day at the Mobile Museum of Art. I would then arrive home around 615 making for an almost 12 hour day!
That week was incredibly fun and exhausting at the same time!

Today started out innocently enough.
I purchased a small jewelry box about two weeks ago with intentions of making it my makeup holder. The whole point of that was to eliminate the mess created by various pieces of  base, eye shadow, mascara and such from cluttering the top of my slumped glass sink. It is a beautiful piece of glass about 3/4 inch thick and all in one piece. It is also about 3 1/2 feet wide. 
Anyway, the point was to clean this area up.

The box was already painted white, so all I had done was to make two little boxes to fit in inside to hold my makeup. The problem was, the box was too high to fit on my shelf in the bathroom next to the sink. I went upstairs to my studio, and grabbed a hammer to move the shelves on the unit. I had to remove two large jars of shells and a sailboat with a broken bottom so they would not hit me in the head. I was ready for the shelf now. After a bit of banging, my better half showed up and asked if he could help. I was getting frustrated trying to hold the shelf, move the plastic pieces, tamp the shelf back down, then praying it was level. We both were trying to be in control of the process and were getting snappy with each other. I wanted to move the towel holder as well, and we needed a screwdriver. To the 'Junk' drawer we went. After considerable looking and rummaging we found the necessary tool to complete the moving of the towel holders. I left Chris doing that and I emptied the junk drawer in frustration. After throwing some things away,
 asking him to take various tools back to the shop.
Do we really need three pairs of pliers in this drawer? 
(He has a habit of dumping whatever is in his hand from the shop into the drawer.)

I wiped down and neatly arranged the drawer to my satisfaction.
In the process of finishing up the junk drawer, I had a plastic take out fork, napkin set. 
I wanted to place this in the regular table tools drawer. 

The table tools drawer was a mess, so I emptied it out too! I cleaned the tray, wiped down the inside of the drawer and put the various tools back into their proper places. I put all the plastic take out tools into a cup in the pantry along with our disposable plates and cups. I then had a large knife left over that belonged in the kitchen tool drawer.

I went to the kitchen tool drawer and tried to place the knife into the slots, not gonna make it!
While trying close the drawer, I realized that it needed cleaning and straightening as well. 
4 knives left over, a medicine spoon located that I needed two weeks ago, the drawer was neatly cleaned, sorted and put back into place.

Meanwhile Chris had taken the two pairs of pliers, screwdriver, and ear plugs to the shop. 
Laundry calling my name, finishing one load and starting another.
The bathroom and the jewelry box then beckoned. 

Before I could place everything on the shelf, I had to figure out the arrangement. I placed the box and then turned to the makeup on the counter. I also removed the makeup I had in the big cabinet and sorted, tossed, and made a pile to give away.

Finally finishing that, I needed to clean the shell jars for the shelf. I washed both the jars, rinsed the shells and rearranged them in their jars. They both looked really nice. I then saw the jars on the window ledge, Sea glass, Sponges, mermaids purses, a fish sculpture our daughter painted when she was about 10 years old, as well as a Neptune Santa and a beautiful blue glass jar. This was all cleaned, dried and placed on the ledge after I wiped it down. Meanwhile one of the jars I was cleaning had a tiny piece of something hit the sink and it went down the drain before I could catch it. I unscrewed the plug for the sink, trying to see the object that I heard. 
Nothing, nada, zip!

At least as far as the object. Now the drain was a gunky mess. So, I poured baking soda and vinegar down it as well as some plunging. While I was doing this, I was distracted by the hair my eyebrows and upper lip. I found the hair remover, put some on,  and had the timer on the stove. Chris walked in and just laughed at my face covered in the remover. 
I didn't flinch, I was too focused on trying to finish the job at hand. 
Finally sink cleaned, too many items washed dried and put away to mention!

Well over half the day was gone and I had not lifted a brush!
The box looks great in the bathroom though!
I just felt like a fireman all day, putting out little fires here and there.
What started all this, I Konmari article this morning.
It basically said, If it does not give you joy, toss it, sell it, or give it!

I finally settled down and painted this afternoon!
(That is, after grocery shopping, emptying out the car, and sorting the art supplies 
to their various places of abode!)

"The Dolphins Playtime" Acrylic on shadowbox canvas, 12 wide x 36 tall
Retail $295
Day 13 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2018  

No comments:

Post a Comment